Monday, July 23, 2007

Defense Against the Dark Arts

I am so tired of hearing people complain about Harry Potter. They are like "What is the big deal? Its just a book about a boy who does magic, right?" WRONG. If it were just about that it wouldn't be very interesting, would it? And millions of copies wouldn't be in the hands of eager readers all over the world right now, as we speak. Its about much, much more. One thing is the power of choice. Voldemort relies on the power of dark magic, that magic which is used when intending to do harm to another person. Dumbledore taught Harry about the value of choosing not to use his power, which he very well could have, in that way. There are very fine lines there. Harry has never used dark magic which is the one thing that makes him different than Voldemort and is the one thing that will allow him to win in the end. Over and over, JKR emphasizes this quality, not just with Harry but with other characters as well. It's not the only theme carried through the books, but is an important one. No, it's not about a boy who does magic. It's about how a young man learns how to be responsible with his power from many people around him, mostly those who serve as father figures due to the loss of his own father. Harry has lost many people close to him, yet his conviction to act according to the ways they taught him hasn't failed. Its about love at the deepest level.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just finished the book. I can't tell you how much I loved it! I have been ridiculed quite a bit lately for admitting that I cried a lot while reading this one. You just explained why the book carries so much emotion for HP fans.