Returning to my hometown has some sad side effects. I realize what a backwoods, old-time place I come from. Liberals, environmentalists, non-conformist spiritualists, and socially conscious people ard hard to come by. Mark and I have noticed things like people smoking with their kids in the car, with the windows up, a lot...I mean, a lot...since we moved back. Then we get sideways looks when we reveal we are vegetarians or choose organic products. What is it with people here? Sure there are people who have taken the blinders off, but they are rare. It seems like people here are content to plod along with their lives without a concern at all for our world and the people in it, even themselves. Mediocrity seems to be the goal and any attempt to surpass that is met with a sort of chuckle. Let's all just step on life like a creepy bug, shall we? We have the power and right to gobble up the Earth and nobody can stop us. Who cares? I cringe. It makes for a lonely place. I'm afraid to talk about the things that are important to me.
Friday, April 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment